Breast Augmentation Capsule Contacture Caused by a Tight Scar Around the Breast Implant
Breast augmentation can cause a problem with breast implants called capsule contracture. This is when a scar forms a tight capsule around the breast implant. If the scar shrinks, it tightens just like a balloon full of water being squeezed and will get hard or firm. The more tightening, the harder and more round the breast implants will become and the more unnatural the result of the breast augmentation will get. This is the most common cause of revision breast implant surgery for breast augmentation.
There is no agreement on the cause of breast implant capsule in the medical literature. Blood around the breast implants after surgery could be one cause, or bacterial contamination of the surface of the breast implant leading to a problem called a biofilm could be another. It could also be something else yet to be discovered. Most surgeons feel that the likely cause of breast augmentation capsule contracture is a biofilm. Special precautions to prevent the breast implant capsule contracture include:
- Intravenous antibiotics administered just before the operation.
- Irrigation of the operative site and the breast implant with an antibiotic solution.
- Using a special surgical technique for the implants called “no touch”.
- Using of a special device called a Keller funnel for breast implant placement.
- Using textured implants such as the Sientra breast implants, Mentor Memory Shape breast implants and Natrelle 410 breast implants may help. The texturing lets your tissue adhere to the implants and thus hopefully reduce capsule formation. These breast implants are all gummy bear implants. Sientra implants have a 2 year warrantee in case a capsule contracture develops and the company will replace the implants and they provide additional funds for the cost of reoperation.
- Early motion has also been shown to speed recovery and reduce many of the risks of breast augmentation including capsule contracture. The 24 hour rapid breast augmentation recovery postoperative regime is perfect for helping with early movement and likely reduce the capsule risk.
The fix for a breast augmentation capsular contracture treatment is usually surgical. A special procedure, a neo-pocket procedure, is often used. Another solution is to completely remove the capsule. Sometimes a special internal sling or acellular dermis is placed to help stop any further capsule contracture formation. Some physicians have used asthma medicines such as Accolate or Singulair to try to treat contracture, but there is no solid evidence that this works and these medicines have can significant serious side effects. Anti-inflammatories, massage, ultrasound, Vitamin E, and many other remedies have also been tried without documented success.
In Seattle, WA we are working hard at solving the problem and although the rate is very low it is not zero.
Call us today to learn more about Breast Augmentation Seattle: (425) 366-8222
or visit www.drwindle.com
Until next time, all the best.