Shopping or Out to Dinner the Next Night!
with 24 Hr Recovery Breast Augmentation
24 Hour Recovery Breast Augmentation is also known as Quick Recovery Breast Augmentation or Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation. It is not new. 24 hour recovery breast augmentation was first reported to the plastic surgery community in 2002 by Dr. John Tebbets of Dallas (see below for medical references). The protocol was known as the “no touch” technique since special instruments were used to minimize damage to the breast and chest area. Today, a variation of this surgical technique is used that includes a special implant placement device called a Keller Funnel. The entire program is designed to:
- Make your post-operative course simple. You will have:
- No drains.
- No pain pumps.
- No bandages.
- No long acting local anesthetics into the breast pocket or all around the breast.
- No binders, bandeaus, wraps or tight dressings.
- No special bras.
- No high strength narcotic pain medications.
- No muscle relaxant medications.
- No anti-anxiety or sedative medications.
- No normal activities restrictions (except aerobic activities in the first week and no shoulder work outs for 6 weeks).
- No limitation of normal sexual activity after the first evening of surgery.
- No nerve blocks of any kind (usually injects between the ribs to reduce pain).
- No massage or pushing up your implants.
- Reduce pain. It was felt that the “no touch” surgical procedure was the big contributor to why patients could be recovered in 24 hours but now we know that there are a number of factors that are responsible. These include:
- Motion. This is the number one factor. Have you ever wondered how athletes return to the playing field so fast? Although counter intuitive, motion is a great healer an, although initially it is a little sore to get moving after an injury, things feel much better a lot faster. We get you moving with special exercises within the first half hour after surgery!
- Elimination of the strong drugs that are often used in general anesthesia. By using a local anesthesia technique that will provide you with much better post-operative pain control you will need little if any post-operative narcotics or prescription pain medications. It is well known that patients who come out of surgery pain free rarely have as much pain during their recovery compared to patients who leave surgery in pain. In addition, there is less risk for memory loss from general anesthesia.
- Reduce your risks for:
- Blood clots or deep venous thrombosis.
A 24 Hour Recovery Patient of Dr. Windle’s
Here is What Our Patients Say
95% of patients are recovered to the point that they can go out to dinner the next night if they so choose. With 24 hour recovery breast augmentation you are not healed and we encourage our patients not to overdo things in the first or four days but most are back to work at three to four days!
This is not magic, 24 hour recovery breast augmentation is just good medicine using the latest thinking. Our patients say they are amazed, especially after hearing what their friends went through somewhere else or back in the day.
“People are amazed at how quickly I recovered,” said one patient the other day. “I had surgery Thursday and I was out shopping the next afternoon. I was back at work on Monday morning. I was still a little sore, but I was able to get around just fine. Ten days later it was as if I had not had any surgery….except that I now fill up my bras!”
24 Hour Recovery Breast Augmentation: After surgery
We will encourage you to move; get up walking and your arms over your head. This is the most important part of the recovery program and we will have you do a set of three arm raises every hour before going to bed. Sports medicine has taught us that stretching and walking help the muscles to recover more rapidly and this is true after surgery like a breast augmentation.
Also after surgery we do not want you to baby your breasts. There is nothing you can do to hurt or rupture your implants or rip open your incisions. The best thing that you can do it to simple resume your daily routines. You are encouraged to look at your breasts in a mirror as well as touch them and get to know them. They’re not the same as they were. They are new and different so get to know them!
With 24 hour recovery breast augmentation you get what patients want today:
- Less Pain
- Less Downtime.
- Less Invasive.
- Less Complications
- MORE NATURAL BREAST AUGMENTATION RESULTS
Tebbetts, J.B. Achieving a predictable 24-hour return to normal activities after breast augmentation Part I: Refining practices using motion and time study principles. Plast. Reconstr. Surg.109:273-290, January 2002.
Tebbetts, J.B.: Achieving a predictable 24-hour return to normal activities after breast augmentation Part II: Patient preparation, refined surgical techniques and instrumentation Plast. Reconstr. Surg.109:293-305, January, 2002.
Adams Jr, William P. “The process of breast augmentation: four sequential steps for optimizing outcomes for patients.” Plastic and reconstructive surgery 122.6 (2008): 1892-1900.
Kryger, Zol B., Neil A. Fine, and Thomas A. Mustoe. “The outcome of abdominoplasty performed under conscious sedation: six-year experience in 153 consecutive cases.” Plastic and reconstructive surgery 113.6 (2004): 1807-181
Why Do You Only Use Twilight Anesthesia with Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation?
With our rapid recovery technique you will have a twilight or local plus IV sedation anesthesia. With local plus IV sedation or twilight anesthesia is the local anesthesia that will keep you comfortable throughout the breast augmentation procedure and the sedation is so that you will not feel or remember anything. When the surgery is finished you will not have any pain for a few hours after your breast implants have been placed. It has been well documented that if you have little to no pain right after your surgery then you will have much less pain during your recovery. This makes twilight or IV sedation anesthesia the perfect choice for the 24 hour rapid recovery breast augmentation protocol. The goal with rapid recovery breast augmentation is to have you essentially pain free and back to doing most things in about 18 to 24 hours. You are not healed but you will be able to go out to dinner the next night and get back to most jobs within a couple of days.
Don’t I Need Pain Meds with the 24 Hour Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation?
This is a frequent concern of women who are preparing for a rapid recovery breast augmentation. As long as you follow the post-operative protocol of MEAT or motion, exercise, anti-inflammatories and treatment if required, the answer is NO. That is not quite true since anti-inflammatories are in fact a pain medication. Narcotics, commonly prescribed after surgery, are not necessary however and in fact can cause nausea, drowsiness and constipation. These problems can actually delay your recovery. In most cases, with the MEAT protocol, with just a basic over the counter anti-inflammatory medication like Aleve is all that is required. The secret is motion. We get patients moving, stretching and exercising within 2 hours of their surgery and they say when they stop moving is when they hurt a little.
What is a Keller Funnel?